Depression & Addiction Go Only Too Well Together
Researchers in the field of mental disorders have been wondering about this dilemma for years, much like the question about the chicken and the egg. Does depression cause addiction by triggering a need for intoxication? Or does substance abuse cause depression by changing the way the brain functions?
Links between depression and substance abuse
- Depression can hasten drug or alcohol use as a form of self-medication.
- Drugs or alcohol can trigger depression by altering brain chemistry.
- The effects of substance abuse or withdrawal can resemble the signs of a depressive disorder.
- The neurological factors that cause depression may predispose the person to alcohol or drug addiction.
Addiction and depression are natural friends. Individuals that are depressed often turn to drugs and alcohol for self-medicating their real issues with depression, anxiety, and other personality disorders.
It is hard to differentiate between clinical depression and the effects of drugs or alcohol
Many of the most widely abused substances are central nervous system depressants. They include:
- Alcohol. Alcohol is taken as beer, wine, hard liquor, and spirits.
- Benzodiazepines, These include sedative/muscle relaxants such as Valium (diazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), and Xanax (alprazolam).
- Cannabis. This is taken as smokable and edible forms of marijuana.
- Opiates. They include illicit and prescription drugs derived from opium. Examples are heroin, morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone.
- Barbiturates include powerful sedatives like Seconal (secobarbital) and Nembutal (pentobarbital).
Substance abuse is more common in depressed individuals than in the general population.
According to QJM: An International Journal of Medicine, men diagnosed with major depression are nearly thrice as likely to develop a dependence on alcohol. On the other hand, women with depression are over four times more likely to become alcohol-dependent.
Further, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, major depressive disorder affects almost 7 percent of American adults (approximately 15 million people). Incredible!
Drug and alcohol abuse can worsen the development of depressive disorder
This increases the risk of outcomes such as:
- Drug or alcohol addiction.
- Psychiatric hospitalization.
- Suicide attempts.
- accidental or intentional overdose.
Also, people who with depression and substance use disorder are more likely to drop out of conventional substance abuse treatment programs before they finish rehab.
More in Mental Health
11 Major Depression Symptoms To Be Watched
When you look at a person, it’s hard to tell what kind of demon sits on their shoulder, tormenting their thoughts....August 10, 2017
Battery Safety Tips For Your Vaping Device
The most common yet dangerous forms of addiction people develop is cigarette smoking. The World Health Organization (WHO) is doing its best...August 10, 2017
4 Types of Depression You Should Watch Out For
Whenever life doesn’t go in our own way, we sometimes can’t help but be depressed. We feel down and suddenly surrounded...August 10, 2017
Easy Steps on How to Get a Job of Your Dreams
Are you an unemployed person or an employed one but unsatisfied with your current job position? It is not enough to...August 10, 2017
Bizarre Addictions You Never Knew Existed
Today, society is living in a world full of new perceptions and eased practices that stemmed from modernization. Norms become strange...August 10, 2017
What Psychology Says About Alcohol Dependence
As a result of peer influence, diversion of attention, and depression, today’s a population is having quite a difficult time staying...August 10, 2017
The Facts You Need To Know About Glutathione
What Is the Real Score Behind The Use of Glutathione? You must have heard about glutathione for quite some time now....August 10, 2017
Why Content Marketing is no Longer Working for You
Digital marketers have always known that content is king. Producing high-quality content and distributing it effectively increases the chances of businesses...August 10, 2017
Everything You Need to Know About Treating Hernia
The human body is designed and placed into the appropriate portions and positions for perfect functioning. However, due to day-to-day activities...August 10, 2017